12 We Love: Alice in Wonderlandby Catherine O'Dolan on 09/02/2021
2015 was a big year for Alice and her crazy cohorts as Lewis Carroll’s classic fantasty story celebrated its 150th anniverary.
And you won’t find a better role model for imaginative and fantasy play than poster girl, Alice and her memorable adventures in a curious world.
Lewis Carroll’s original manuscript with hand-drawn illustrations is housed at the British Library. Take a peek at the Alice In Wonderland exhibition which runs until April 17, 2016, alongside stunning editions by some of the famous artists who have illustrated the book including Mervyn Peake, Ralph Steadman, Leonard Weisgard, Arthur Rackham, Salvador Dali and others. There is also a Pop-Up Shop showcasing the best Alice memorabilia this side of Wonderland.
For curious young minds, there’s also an Alice in Wonderland Discovery Day on February 20, where kids are encouraged to dress up for a jam-packed day of Alice-inspired hilarity and playful antics. Meet some of Alice’s fabulous friends and wonderfully wicked foes, take part in drawing, collage and crochet workshops, enjoy theatrical performances and indulge in scrumptious treats.
Click the heart on the image to add an item to your StyleFile and create a Christmas Moodboard. Not sure how to begin? Watch our two-minute How To Make A Moodboard guide.
2. Presentation Set of Alice In Wonderland Stamps £10 from Post Office Shop Ten stamps depicted memorable scenes from the book, illustrated by Grahame Baker-Smith.
3. Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland by Robert Sabuda (Simon & Schuster, £20) Amazing pop-ups by the supreme master of paper engineering.
5. Pop! Disney Alice in Wonderland £10 by Funko Collectible mini stylised figurine by the popular cult brand. 9.5cm
6. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland illustrated by Tove Jansson (Tate Publishing, £12.99) Moomin creator Jansson lends her own brand of whimsy to Carroll’s famous characters.
7. Alice in Wonderland Finger Puppets £21.99 by Fiesta Crafts Award-winning set of five character finger puppets, perfect for storytelling fun and imaginative play.
8. Disney Alice T-Shirt and Tutu Set £34 by Mamas & Papas (ages 0–12 months) T-shirt featuring classic Disney Alice and red netting tutu with wonderland embellishment.
9. Alice in Wonderland Tea Set $99.99 by Reutter Featuring the original John Tenniel illustrations, each porcelain piece is hand-embellished in real gold.
12. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland illustrated by Helen Oxenbury (Walker Book, £7.99) Beautiful and soft water-colour renditions of Alice by the award-winning illustrator.