12 We Love… Christmas Booksby Catherine O'Dolan on 18/12/2017
Snuggled up cosily with a seasonal story is the perfect way to get in the festive mood. Here is a dazzling dozen of our favourite Christmas reads featuring Santas and reindeer, frozen landscapes and fairies, and oodles of children hoping they’re not on Santa’s naughty list! Click on each one to read our full reviews.
- The Christmas Eve Tree by Delia Huddy and Emily Sutton (Walker, £12.99) A poignant tale about a small and spindly fir tree than pines for a better life, with shades of Hans Christian Andersen’s classic tale.
- Elmer’s Christmas by David McKee (Andersen Press, £6.99) Patchwork pachyderm Elmer tries to contain the excitement of the youngsters of the herd as they await a visit from the elephantine equivalent of Santa, Papa Red.
- Katie’s London Christmas by James Mayhew (Orchard, £6.99) Take a trip with art-loving adventurer Katie as she soars in Santa’s sleigh above a splendidly illuminated London skyline.
- How Many Sleeps Till Christmas? by Mark Sperring and Sebastien Braun (Puffin, £6.99) A warm and witty tale, based on a scenario of eager anticipation that is no doubt being played out in households across the world.
- The Night Before Christmas illustrated by Mark Marshall (Little Tiger Press, £6.99) Clement C Moore’s classic poem conjures up a seasonal tale as a young child spies a mysterious visitor with a coterie of reindeer.
- I Love You Father Christmas by Giles Andreae and Emma Dodd (Orchard, £6.99) An endearing poetic ode to Santa and all his funny ways, penned by one young adoring fan (okay, with just a little vested interest…).
- The Nights Before Christmas illustrated by Tony Ross (Andersen Press, £19.99) A starry collection of well-loved authors and poets share festive tales and ponderings of the season, brought to brilliant life by Tony Ross’s wonderful illustrations.
- The Empty Stocking by Richard Curtis and Rebecca Cobb (Puffin, £6.99) Could the repercussions of being on the naughty list really result in the unthinkable? An empty stocking!
- Goodnight Santa by Michelle Robinson and Nick East (Puffin, £6.99) Two children wind up their day of fun on the snow with fond farewells to all before they trudge home to prepare for their last sleep before Christmas day.
- Socks for Santa by Adam and Charlotte Guillain and Lee Wildish (Egmont, £6.99) One generous tot turns the table on the biggest gift-giver of all but bestowing a thoughtful present to Santa.
- Is It Christmas Yet? by Jane Chapman (Little Tiger Press, £6.99) The endless excited questioning of a cute bear cub waiting for Christmas. Will it ever come?
- Mog’s Christmas Calamity by Judith Kerr (HarperCollins, £3) Much loved feline Mog is feeling festive – until calamity strikes and jingle bells are replaced by fire-engine sirens…